Burning Soul of a Dalit Girl

03:29

I don’t want to remember the night, it was so harsh, and I saw flames all around and a small girl standing in the middle with a doll in her arms.

The dream always shivers me and I do not want to remember the night.

I am a Dalit Girl and my home was set on fire because my brother was in love with a girl of an upper caste, they killed my entire family and burning them alive, while I was playing in a nearby ground.

I was 5 years old chirpy and happy girl then, but I don’t know whether to thank God or blame Him to save my life.


Taking birth in a low caste family is my fault in India? I don’t know and still in search of a right answer.

This post is written for http://lilliemcferrin.com/ 

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. I wish there was no such thing as upper and lower class, it brings so much unhappiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how it is ...wish it wasn't but can't change that. Can try to do our part and hope with time things change ..I just wish that. Powerful one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks sushree, we cannot change it overnight, but we can bring the change slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks sushree, we cannot change it overnight, but we can bring the change slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, for helping me learn something. I knew about the caste system, but not that it could create such terrible consequences. A frighteningly moving response to Lillie's prompt this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very much true freyawrites. Some are exposed and some are not...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am humbled. Those of us that live in the western world take our freedoms for granted instead of appreciating them, thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was so humble of you Mandy Moore...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was so humble of you Mandy Moore...

    ReplyDelete
  10. An excellent take on the prompt. I was very touched by this story.

    ReplyDelete




Lillie McFerrin Writes

Member of

The Kolkata Bloggers