My experience: Period is Bold and Bold is always Sexy #PeriodPride

06:22

Situation 1: "Bhaiya ek Whisper dena", I said in a hush tone in a medical shop. The shopkeeper could not hear me as there were many customers buying medicines. I was the only 29-years old married woman standing in between two men and asking for a pack of sanitary napkin. “Bhaiya ek Whisper dena”, this time I asked in a loud tone and two men immediately look at me as if I am a culprit.

Situation 2: I was at my home and suddenly one of my in-laws (not to mention the name) asked me “you bleed so less, you are OK Na”... I was shocked and thought “what’s wrong? Did you check my used napkins in the waste basket? No, please, its so unhygienic and I was left speechless. Should I need to bleed gallons to show that I am a woman?

Situation 3: I was a 13-year old kid having period for the first time and top of that my final examination was also scheduled in the same week. My stomach cramp was impossible to bear and then my father entered the room. After seeing me in this condition, he said “This is normal thing Beta, you are a grown up girl and this pain will come and go, but that does not mean you will leave your studies. Get up and study to score good marks.” That day, a 13-year old was angry on her father, but Dad was so true in his words. Actually, he was most positive person I have ever seen in my life.

All these situations are my personal experiences. Yes, you read it right! Apart from these above situations, there were many situations I faced like stains on my white Kurti while traveling in Metro with my Father and many more. But, I was never got any negative attitude from my parents. It can happen to anyone. It is a biological cycle after all and if you are a woman, you should be proud of your Periods because you will become a future Mother. What is the best feeling more than becoming a Mother?

Taboos on Periods are on the minds of the people. Unless the minds of the people are free from this clutter, no one can stay and live a healthy life. The matter of hygienic, unhygienic and taboo with sanitary napkins and Menstruation cycle not only prevail in underprivileged society, but also in houses who are educated, smart and belongs to an well-to-do-family.

So, lets break this Taboo and myth because "Period is Bold and Bold is always Sexy."


Naari's effort towards the awareness on Periods Myth and Taboos and How to adopt Green Period is commendable. Support this effort and please share your valuable comments.

Linking it to #PeriodPride & Write Tribe


You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I like the sound of that - Period is Bold and Bold is Sexy. I wish more people would think of it like that. The taboos really need to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tulika, We women are so blessed with this natural cycle.

      Delete
  2. The the title of the post! Still wondering, how did that person came to know you bleed less? It's kinda strange!
    We really need to shun away the taboos!

    Cheers
    Geets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After hearing this, I did not have the guts to ask the person and felt like vomiting.

      Delete
  3. Powerful. We need to declutter our minds as a society to make for equal change. Your parents are wonderful and blessed to grow up in such a healthy and equal environment. Beautiful lines: 'It is a biological cycle after all and if you are a woman, you should be proud of your Periods because you will become a future Mother. What is the best feeling more than becoming a Mother?'

    https://vishalbheeroo.wordpress.com/2016/09/01/period-pride-stop-ignorance-and-be-the-change-as-a-society/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being bold is truly sexy. I wish more of us would realize that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pray too Corinne. Its in the mind of the people which comes out as an action.

    ReplyDelete




Lillie McFerrin Writes

Member of

The Kolkata Bloggers