Relive my golden Shantiniketan Days this weekend

05:11

My excitement knew no boundary when my husband suddenly planned for Bolpur (Shantiniketan) trip last weekend. My happiness was doubled because I was a Post Graduate student of Visva-Bharati University (under Central Government). I was a Master degree student in Journalism and Mass Communication then and had lot of memories in Shantiniketan.

Visva-Bharati was established by Rabindranath Tagore (An eminent novelist, writer, song writer and poet) in the heart of Shantiniketan, district Birbhum. His dream was to expand the education and knowledge not only in India, but also around the globe. His interest in Chinese culture is known to everyone and that is why; China’s respect for Visva-Bharati always got a remarkable position in the University. I am proud to be a student of this university with a broader vision and goal.

If you board a train, it is only 2 to 3 hours journey from Kolkata and many trains are easily available from both Howrah and Sealdah station. We boarded Satabdi Express at 2.15 pm from Howrah and we practically run to catch the train. (All thanks to our Kolkata traffic).

At 4.00 pm, we reached Bolpur (Shantiniketan) and I could smell the soul of Lal Mati (Red Soil). Thanks to my University Sir from whom I asked for help for hotel booking and I got a room for a day. (Rush of Tourists still prevalent).

We book a ToTo (New launched public transport in Shantiniketan) and straightaway head to Shanibarer Haat (Saturday Flea Market). The speciality of this Haat is that you can find people selling Handicraft items (showpieces, paintings, clothes with hand stitch designs), handmade food items, and the famous Baul gatherings (local music of Birbhum district). When I was a student, we friends had our own bicycles and we cycled through the Lal Mati and spend some weekend time at Haat. It is open for all and the entire Haat will wrap up when the sun set.

I and my husband went there and found that the Red Soil Road was transferred into solid concrete road and the work was still in progress. This decision killed the essence of Red Soil.

My Man: What happen?

Me: I am feeling sad to see the condition of the Haat

My Man: What can you do?

Me: Nothing

My Man: I loved it and let’s take more pictures of the Haat, Eucalyptus trees and Khowai

Me: I smiled



In the evening, when we were having tea, suddenly my husband asked me I want to see Shantiniketan through your eyes. I was very happy and smiling inside. But, many things changed in these five years.

Still, I took him to the places where I used to have my breakfast, lunch and dinner, my Paying Guest locality and building, my Campus, my department, my shopping stores, my grocery stores and friends Adda (chatting) zone with friends. I felt, as if I was a student again and enjoying my days to the fullest. We strolled around the shopping market and check out the special Dokra jewelry of Bolpur (Shantiniketan). We also visited Kankali Tala Temple (Temple of Maa Kali) and offered praying.


On Sunday, we boarded Kaviguru Express at 2.10 pm and reached Howrah by 5.00 pm. It was a sudden weekend trip and all thanks goes to my man. It’s a great weekend break for me to relive my golden Post Graduate days.

#MondayMusings

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Enjoyed your post on Shantiniketan. I had visited the place many years ago on a college trip and still recall the laid back ambience of the place. We all had a great time witnessing students learning in the open environs of the Vishwabharti university!Truly an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Esha...Yes the charm of Shantiniketan is incredible for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Esha...Yes the charm of Shantiniketan is incredible for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great feeling to visit back the place that gives us super awesome memories. I need to visit Shanti Niketan one, to see the great work by the Bard:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Vishal you must come here once to feel the rural laid back culture especially during Dol Utsav (Holi).

      Delete




Lillie McFerrin Writes

Member of

The Kolkata Bloggers